Tuesday, June 23

John DeLucie | THE RESULTS

WEEK ONE with John DeLucie, Chef of The Waverly Inn = SUCCESS!


Last week I set out on my journey to becoming the best New Yorker I can be, according to John DeLucie’s rules, and I think I did it! I hit all 14 checkpoints, and here is the proof in pictures.



As long as John examines these pictures and agrees I have truly become a better New Yorker, I win:

THE PRIZE: A custom-made Chef's Tasting Dinner for Two at The Waverly Inn

John, what’s the verdict? Check out my week and let me know!


Personal note: Thank you to everyone who cheered me on from the sidelines - whether it was helping me locate flowers for Emilio, or sending motivational messages as I trekked from West Chelsea to the Upper East Side in the pouring rain! Also, to all my wonderful friends who played with me along the way, I had a blast with you and I hope you did too.


1. Visit the Guggenheim. Learn and report back 3 new things.
I was lucky enough to go with my sister Jessica, who doubled as my tour guide. Her recent class, Art 360: Art History from 1970 to present, really got some mileage!

Thing I Learned #1: Picasso's Blue Period was named as such because he was depressed and all his work was painted in shades of blue and grey. Why blue? Blue paint was the cheapest.Thing I learned #2: The current exhibit at the Guggenheim was of Frank Lloyd Wright, a legendary architect who designed over 1000 projects, resulting in over 500 completed works. This model (which I illegally photographed) is an example of Wright's forward thinking. To be as efficient and precise as possible, Wright conceptualized and planned out buildings in distinct, separated layers.Mr. Wright's vision of the world was that of spread out cities that resembled the space age's famously sleek invention of "the future". He designed giant, peaceful, energy-efficient buildings with wide open spaces that meshed nature and spherical architecture.
Thing I learned #3: Frank Lloyd Wright's works were laid out chronologically - from the beginning of the spiraling ramp on the ground floor, to the very top of the Guggenheim. Imagine our surprise (and I'll admit, slight embarrassment) when we got to the top and learned that Frank Lloyd Wright actually built the Guggenheim too! It was like watching the first half of Titanic without knowing the ship was going to sink.
Next time I'll do my research.

2. Get Italian food at Ballato. Bring flowers to Emilio, the chef. See if he’ll make me the Pacari.
He loved the flowers. When I presented him with the bouquet and my Pacari request... he ran right back to the kitchen to get cooking!


So THAT's what Pacari is. If I recall, it was more authentic Italian than the pasta I had in Italy last year. 
If you've been following, you'll know that I also gave away dinner with a bottle of wine at Emilio's! Congratulations to @ericanardello on Twitter for winning me over with her Italian compliment.

3. Go to the Village Vanguard. See a high quality jazz show. Before going, research who’s performing and then review them after.
Research on the Renee Rosnes Quartet: Renee is a Canadian who began studying classical piano at age 3 (one of those). She's composed and recorded many highly acclaimed jazz records, and has won 4 Junos - the Canadian equivalent of our Grammy award.

Review: I am not the best judge for this, as this was my 2nd jazz show ever, with the first being Marion at Smalls (rule #6). I will tell you that the musicians were wildly talented and passionate, and the Vanguard was packed with smiling, grooving fans. I let the blues sweep through me... realizing how I far I still need to come to really appreciate performances that aren't there to dazzle. Sometimes, they're just to jazzle.

It was one of those New York nights that truly signified the groundwork of my social archaeology: There are millions of niches - why only stick with your own?

This guy hopped in my picture and had all sorts of poses in mind! (Yes, there is actually someone in this picture with me...)

4. Go to Dim Sum GoGo. Get the vegetarian dim sum.

There's me, there's the vegetarian dim sum. Ten minutes later, things looked a little different.
My friend Andrew and I couldn't help but feed each other these delicate bundles of chinese joy.

5. Go to Taim. Get falafel.
This was my first big checkpoint of the week!
As you may recall, I loved it so much that I went inside to speak to the owner and arrange a falafel sandwich giveaway. Congrats to @BluegrassInNYC on Twitter and Natalie Bartos on Facebook for being the first to name 3 falafel ingredients.
AND GUESS WHO happened to walk by while I was sitting outside at Taim... none other than John DeLucie! He snapped this pic from his phone. The proof is in the pita.
(It was THAT good.)

6. Go to Smalls on a Sunday night to hear the brilliant vocalist Marion.
This is Marion. He was a charming vocalist indeed. I went with my friend Nate, and we so enjoyed letting Marion and his jazz band transport us back to another time and place.
Confession: I completed this 2 weeks before John's challenge even started, for fear I might not be around on Father's Day. (I hope I still win.)

THE BEST PART (and the reason I'm so glad I "cheated"): This was the very first rule I completed, and the very first song they played was by the Beatles. It was MICHELLE :)

7. Go to Zibetto Espresso bar. Get a cappuccino.
I got so wrapped up in conversation with the barista that I almost walked out without paying. Guess I needed the wake up more than I thought.

8. Go to Via Quadronno. Get a cappuccino and the Mortadella Panini. Compare the two cappuccinos.
Not only did I go to Via Quadronno, my lunch date, Melody Weir, invited me to fashion designer Susan Grant’s Upper East Side apartment beforehand to view her collection of custom apparel. It turns out, she just HAPPENED to have a Via Quadronno shirt lying around, which she gave to me. Seriously. Extra Points? “There are no coincidences in this world! Everything is meant to be.” Melody said. We all agreed.

The Via Quadronno waiter serving paninis to me and the iconic Melody Weir. (gee that flying pig looks familiar...)

Cappuccino comparison: The Via Quaddrono cappuccino wins. Maybe something to do with being served in a mug with whole milk, rather than a to-go cup with 2%... but John didnt specify standardized variables. Don't get me wrong, next time I pass Zibetto's I WILL be getting another cappuccino.

9. Go see that new movie “The Girlfriend Experience.” Let him know how it is and if it’s worth going.


Until now, I was not aware that the high class hooker industry in New York City existed in such a capacity. This was a fascinating glimpse into a world of unexpected entrepreneurs and business endeavors. Beyond overcoming my naivety, I think it was an entertaining film... with quite the happy ending!

Afterwards I consulted with my hot movie date, Natasha, and decided to tell John it's worth going to see. I'm telling you too!

10. Go to Barnes and Noble and see how many copies of The Hunger I can sell.
Attempt #1. I'm looking a little Vanna Whitey. Not in a good way. I was outta there after a few uncomfortable "shhhhhh library" looks from the innocent bystanders and readers. (Give me a break - I just walked from West Chelsea to the Upper East Side in the pouring rain for the love of the game!)
Attempt #2: I was a bit more spirited the next day.
I really thought this man was going to buy it. SO close. It's a recession. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

11. Give directions to tourists.
It's the entrepreneur in me. Note: butt, soaked.
It ain't easy being sleazy!

This was the very first morning of The Game, and I was on my way to meet John for breakfast at Morandi. That damn train took forever to come, which made it easy to blame him when I walked in late... it was his rule!

Something to ponder: Do you take the subway or does the subway take you?
MY rule: If I find myself enjoying the music I hear (signs: foot tapping, head bopping) I tip.

13. People to meet:
a. Charlie Horne, director of the Phillips de Pury Auction House
b. Maureen Sarro, director of the Friedrich Petzel Gallery


a. I met Charlie twice. Once at John's book reception (see #14 below), and before that at a Phillips de Pury exhibit launch (shot above), which he had invited me after admitting a bit of shock that he had been recommended for something! (We didn't get a picture together, but Charlie don't be shocked you're pretty cool.)
b. A raging success! Maureen loves the NYC Game so much that she made a list of rules for me before I even came in. (Maureen you are hysterical!)

14. Attend John's private book reception in Gramercy on Tuesday night.
A lovely reception was held in John's honor at The National Arts Club. This was the part where John told stories from The Hunger - he told some of my favorite vignettes from the book. John was also presented with a very prestigious honor from the Arts Club.

Congratulations John, you deserve every bit of the love and attention. Your book was a treat to read, and my week in your shoes was one of my favorite weeks in New York City to date. Thank you so much being my #1 and playing along like a champ!

Check back tomorrow for Week 2 rules! Joel Warren and Edward Tricomi, of the Warren-Tricomi beauty empire are stepping up to the plate. Another eye-opening, whirlwind of a week in New York City lies ahead. Bring it on!

Kisses!
Michelle Joni







No comments:

Post a Comment