Friday, July 31

WILD CARD! | The Hippie Results

If this is your first time reading about my Hippie WILD CARD, may I suggest you read The Hippie Challenge first. Otherwise you will be very confused!
________________

The Taking of TAKING WOODSTOCK

If I might...
Michael Lang is to Woodstock ’69 as Michelle Joni is to impromptu Hippie Van extravaganzas.

Or, if I might... get paint thrown on me for drawing such an analogy... 
Let me just take you through each success of the night.

LOADING THE VAN Roger, the Hippie Van driver, pulled my little miss sunshine on wheels in front of the Chelsea Hotel at 5:30 as planned. At 6:00, after Melody sixty’d everyone out just a touch more, we loaded the van and were en route to the premiere of Taking Woodstock!


Peter Max (at right, sitting with Edward Tricomi in the Chelsea Hotel lobby) sat shotgun, and to Ralph's delight and surprise, signed his van on the way over to the premiere!

Edward Tricomi (of Warren-Tricomi), Sam Bassett (photographer/film director who lives on the famed Chelsea Hotel rooftop), and Ralph Walton (Hippie Van owner) sat across from Melody and me. We stopped the van 2 blocks from the theater to pick up one more very important passenger, and also one of the evening’s hosts: Erin Fetherston.


Fashion note: Erin Fetherston's faboosh sequined pants are her own design... and "The only pair in the universe!"


MAKING A GREAT HIPPIE FUSS  In a sea of black town cars and limos, we pulled up to the carpet at the Sunshine Landmark Cinema and the crowd went wild. Flashes! Look here! Over here! Melody was interviewed and she shared our tale of bringing a Hippie Van up from North Carolina just for the premiere.

Edward Tricomi, Melody Weir, Sam Bassett, Erin Fetherson, Michael Lang and Michael Lang's lovely wife. What a picture!


Here are some people who did NOT arrive in Ralph Walton’s Hippie Van, and DEFINITELY wish they did:

Claire Daines, Meryl Streep, Demetri Martin, Emile Hirsch, Grace and Mamie Gummer, Peter Som, Ang Lee, Alexis Maybank, Anna Sui, Yigal Azrouel, Nanette Lepore, Vanessa Carlton, Dani Stahl, Lily Donaldson, Andre Leon Talley, Lauren Remington Platt and Anna Wintour... to name a few.

Although, during mine and Anna Wintour's simultaneous run-pee moment in the bathroom, she overheard me on the phone with Ralph and Roger arranging the hippie pickup for after the film. She did not ask to join. Perhaps she was fine with her town car.

MEETING MICHAEL LANG, FOUNDER OF WOODSTOCK  Part of the deal was that Ralph and Roger would get to meet Michael Lang. This was rather easy for me since Peter Max, Melody Weir and Edward Tricomi are all friends with him, and also since he is one of the most genuinely wonderful and humble men I've ever met. 

Ralph got a bunch of great pictures with Michael in front of his van. 
Roger opted for Michael to sign just a cocktail napkin for him instead. 

One of the best parts of the evening for me, too, was meeting Michael Lang. I told him about The Fest For Beatles Fans, the Fest Facebook Page, and the NYC Game, and he said to give him a call that week. He didn't give me a card - but his cell number! - which I stored in my phone, feeling at that moment I had just become part of Woodstock more than ever before. 
I spoke to him briefly on Friday, but he was on a plane ready to take off for Europe. More updates from Michael Lang are sure to come!

George Whipple (the spunky, joyous, bushy-browed NY1 newscaster) joined us in the Hippie Van from the premiere to the party. Here he is with Peter Max.  
THE AFTER PARTY It was hands-down most exciting, star-studded New York party Ralph and Roger had ever been to. 
After the party, Ralph, Roger and I took the Van back to the lot. We did a little photo shoot first.


The movie: I loved the story and the behind-the-scenes glimpse into the making of Woodstock. It got into the always interesting politics of the 60s, and the logistics of how half a million kids invaded a small town in upstate New York. My dad was there in '69 and has told me his crazy story so many times. I was really hoping, though, for some more music and action from the middle of the Woodstock crowd - I wanted to be sucked in to love and music, not just watching from 40 years in the future. 

Ally Zarin, of Real Housewives of NYC, who I took with me because she is the self-proclaimed biggest Michael Lang/Woodstock/60s fan of her generation, says that the book is better. She's read it twice!


Although I can take credit for a few things, the MOST credit goes to Melody Weir. This whole brilliant Hippie Van idea was Melody's brainchild, and I give her all the credit in the world for bringing her flowery vision to life. Congratulations to us all!

Kisses!

Michelle Joni

PHOTO CREDIT: Roxanne Lowit, Ralph Walton and myself. 

4 comments:

  1. No "Peace and Love" here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrong town....go go go away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is worse than my burnin' colon on taco night right after I've gut-cannoned a sea-pickle out of ol' one eye.

    ReplyDelete