Thursday, June 25

Warren-Tricomi | CHALLENGE

I occasionally dye the tips of my hair pink.

When I do, the compliments are unstoppable! I’m actually never quite sure if they are compliments, or verbal observations that are only appropriate in the form of compliments, but nonetheless. I’ll take them.


But the best hair compliment
I ever received was in February, at Nicole Romano’s store opening at The Plaza. A man I didn’t know walked right up to me and said: “I love your tips. Who did them?” We got to talking, and I soon realized I was receiving a genuine compliment from one of the most famous colorists in the world, Joel Warren.

And so sparked my friendship with the
kings of the beauty castle.


It is my pleasure to introduce to you…














NYCINSIDERS:

Joel Warren & Edward Tricomi

INSIDER CRED:

EDWARD TRICOMI, World-Renowned Stylist

“I consider myself a master. I’ve worked for years to develop that. Globally there are only about 15 of us – the best hairdressers in the world.”


He’s styled everyone from Paris Hilton and the cast of The Hills to Barbara Streisand, The Rolling Stones and Ringo Starr. Edward is talented musician on the side – and a rock star in his own right.

Chanel, Dior, Valentino, Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Emanuel Ungaro, Carolina Herrera, J Mendel and Rosa Cha have all been touched by Edward’s masterful vision. These are just a handful of the designers he has collaborated with on fashion shows and ad campaigns.

Edward is as devoted to his work as they come. He has been in the industry for 40 years, famous for always staying current, always taking on dynamic new projects, and always working for the sake of creativity and art - never selling out. He is spiritual, spends weekends at his country house upstate, and studies quantum physics and global economics as a hobby. His passion is being artistic and growing his business.

JOEL WARREN, Celebrity Colorist

“One of the best parts of my job is getting to meet a lot of people and being very social. I go out in New York and get treated very well. I get invited to a lot of parties. It’s a fun life.”



Celebrities, models and socialites such as Jessica Alba, Kate Beckinsale, Ivanka Trump, Amanda Hearst, Rachel Hunter, Molly Sims and Erin Fetherston possess stunning hair color… and a close friendship with their colorist to boot.


He’s the L’Oreal Professionel Hair Color Brand Ambassador, which keeps him traveling and doing color presentations all over the world.

Joel is in the mix. He’s a man about town, hops from parties to galas to openings, and settles into hotspots before they even open. He had to leave one of our interviews halfway through to suit up and run to a Scorsese movie premiere with some heavy-hitting Hollywood friends. “Come back tomorrow, we’ll finish up,” he assured. He’s also as down to earth as they come, and prides himself on his natural ability to cater to each client, making sure they look and feel gorgeous, both in the salon and out.


• The Plaza in New York is home to their sprawling Warren-Tricomi flagship salon

…and they travel to their salons in Los Angeles, Miami Beach, Greenwich and soon in Las Vegas to color and style their loyal A-list clientele.


• Joel and Edward are iconic…

…in fashion and beauty magazines, as experts on talk shows, and as philanthropists. St. Jude’s, Charity Water, Locks of Love, donating haircuts NYC public schools… "It's all part of the mix," says Edward.

They are also both born and bred New Yorkers.

…and no matter where they travel, New York remains their favorite city in the world. Hands down. Just the way I like ’em.

CHALLENGE ME. Joel and Edward decided they are such different people that they had to create separate challenges!


THE RULES

Edward’s Rules:

1. Get a bike and ride through Central Park.

2. Go to the Blue Note and see a show.

3. Go see a European art film at The Lincoln Square theater.

4. Go to a dinner party to meet eclectic interesting people. (Edward is going to see he can invite me to one of his, since I pointed out that my dinner party invite rate is quite low.)

5. Go to Brooklyn to get the city’s best pizza – L&B Spumoni Gardens

6. There are a couple little pastry shops up on Columbus – take a walk up there. It’s a fun thing to do on a summer night.

7. Buy and start reading the following books:

The World is Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman

The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking

How To Get Rich by Donald Trump


Joel’s Rules:

1. Wear hair differently each day, using all and only Warren-Tricomi products (they gave me the entire W-T collection)

2. Carry the Warren-Tricomi Finishing Cream at all times.

3. Attend Zink Magazine’s party for Warren-Tricomi at the Hudson Terrace Tuesday night (already happened. Check.)

4. Support Charity Water. Attend the Charity Water event at Swarovski store Thursday night, hosted by them.

5. Have dinner at Zampa.

6. Have brunch at Freemans.

7. Go to Avenue.

8. Go to Griffin. As many times as possible.


People to meet:

Deborah Turbeville – Well-known photographer

Carolina Herrera – Fashion designer


THE PRIZE

The ultimate hair experience at Warren-Tricomi, including a full head of highlights by Joel and a cut and blowout by Edward.

My hair is looking better just thinking about it!

As I got to know these legendary New Yorkers through our interview and the rules they each created for me, Joel and Edward began to caricaturize in my mind as the beloved cartoon devil and angel perched on either shoulder. A very handsome devil, and a very spirit-lifting angel, to be exact.

Normally I’d leave the cut to Edward and the highlights to Joel… but now I’m going to take the liberty and cut right to the highlights:

*Note: Their interviews were conducted separately

What is your favorite thing about your job?

Joel: I get to meet interesting people all day long. All new people every day. That’s the best part and that’s why I became a hair dresser.

Edward: The unpredictability. Constantly creating something new, always moving forward.

Favorite Show to do at NY Fashion Week?

Joel: Rosa Cha

Edward: Carolina Herrera, Rosa Cha… I’ve worked every show so that’s really hard.

Favorite designers to wear?

Joel: Prada, Paul Smith, Spurr, and Seize Sur Vingt at the Plaza.

Edward: I get all my clothes custom made. Craig Robinson makes my clothes, and Anton makes all my leather clothes.

Best place to shop in NY.

Joel: I like Saks… I like SoHo… I like… big butts! I shop all over. I’m a shopaholic.

Edward: Since I get all my clothes custom made, my favorite place to shop is in my own creativity in myself.

Wait, can we go back to Joel liking big butts?

New York’s best hair on a man?

Joel: My partner. Edward Tricomi.

Edward: My son. Luke.

Not that they’re biased! Neither could choose just one woman, but these responses were instantaneous.

The Warren-Tricomi product no girl should ever be without?

Joel: The finishing cream. You should carry it with you at all times.

Edward: The blow-dry lotion.

Should girls about town make it a point to try new hairstyles? Or is it okay to stick with a signature look?

Joel: I think you should try things, evolve, like anything. Clothes, makeup – nothing should be stuck in one time.

So, Anna Wintour is not on her game?

Joel: No, she should switch it up. Absolutely she should switch it up! It’s a boring old ’do anyway.

Edward: You do what works for you.

Best summer hair advice?

Joel: Our organic hair shield. It’s like having an umbrella on your head.

Edward: Keep it out of the sun as much as possible. What if I have the umbrella on my head?

In New York… the best:

Sushi?

Joel: Matsuri

Edward: A place by my house upstate.

Do I really have to drive all the way upstate for it?

Edward. Yes. Let me look it up on my phone for you.

I wait a minute as he searches Edward, I really don’t like leaving the city.

Edward: Fine. Jean George on 66th. The fish is flown in from Japan every day.

Italian?

Joel: Peasant

Edward: Bella’s I couldn’t find a restaurant in NYC definitively called Bella's. Maybe it's upstate…

Fries?

Joel: Pastis

Edward: Thin skinny ones

From any particular restaurants?

Edward: From certain restaurants that make really thin, skinny fries. Maybe I should have stuck with the hair and fashion questions...

Brunch?

Joel: Freemans

Edward: Giorgios makes a great eggs Benedict.

3am Pit Stop?

Joel: One Oak

Edward: Lucky Strike

Most enjoyable outrdoor seating?

Joel: Morandi

Edward: Fiorellos

Favorite spot in the park?

Joel: My salon. It’s across the street.

Edward: Strawberry Fields

Edward doesn’t drink, so these are all Joel:

Happy Hour?

Griffin

Night spot?

Griffin and Avenue

Most exotic drink menu

Griffin

Hottest drink spot right now?

Griffin

Griffin is killin it!

It’s new. Obviously.

Things that everyone should know about New York, besides Griffin?

(Pause. Deep thought.) Griffin!

They do agree on some things…

New York event to see the best hair?
Joel: Gala at The Met.

Edward: Gala at The Met.

New Yorker who you most want tap on the shoulder and be like, let me do you a little favor… and do your hair?

Joel: Donald Trump

Edward: Donald Trump

Anything else on New Yorkers?

Joel: When I go out in New York, people don’t pay enough attention to their hair. I don’t see great hair out and about. I hate ponytails, I hate scrunchies, I hate pulling it back. You buy $800 shoes, $2000 dresses, jewelry, this, that, and then you take your hair and you put it in a scrunchie. It’s a turn off.

Edward: As New Yorkers, we tend to look straight ahead. And sometimes… you need to look up.


Follow me on Twitter and check back here for the live updates and ways for YOU to play and win!

Kisses!

Michelle Joni


This game has been won! Click here to see the results.


PS. This is me on one of my best hair days ever. AKA in front of The Plaza, with hair done by Warren-Tricomi (thanks to Joel on the color, Jillian on the blowout and Maral on the makeup Xx)



And just in case you were wondering about that pink hair thing...







*Thank you to Costa Nicolas for the photos of me with Joel and Edward





























































































1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see your new cut and highlights. Joy C.

    ReplyDelete