Monday, July 6

Warren-Tricomi | RESULTS


Round 2 is complete!

And here's the proof. As long as Joel Warren and Edward Tricomi deem my pictures worthy and believe I have become a better New Yorker... I win:

THE PRIZE:
The ultimate hair experience at Warren-Tricomi, including a full head of highlights by Joel and a cut and blowout by Edward!

Edward’s Rules:

1. Get a bike and ride through Central Park.

My friend Sarah and I rode around the entire perimiter of Central Park. We hula hooped with Alazar, we watched row boaters and a topless, talented man rock out to Bon Jovi, and had a gorgeous afternoon.

2. Go to the Blue Note and see a jazz show.

In an attempt to delegate in a time crunch, I offered a prize of a Warren-Tricomi cut and blowout to anyone who would go see the show for me. A friend of mine took me up on it, but then convinced me to come with him. (Should he still get the prize?) Turns out it was a fantastic show by a woman named Hiromi. You know they’re legit when they only need one name!

3. Go see a European art film at The Lincoln Plaza theater.

I saw Seraphine at the Lincoln Plaza – a French subtitled film about a nervous, unstable maid with a fierce passion and talent for painting, discovered by her bosses. Listening to the French language was a treat in itself, and Seraphine’s performance was brilliant.

Note on the picture: My date didn’t realize he needed to save the movie tickets to photograph! (I know. Red flag.) But he did save the Post It on which he wrote down the movie times...

4. Go to a dinner party to meet eclectic, interesting people.

Try as I might have, I could not score a dinner party invite. I improvised – it ain’t hard to find eclectic people in this town. I went to Shake Shack in Madison Square Park and made a couple dinner parties of my own...

Pat and Kelly came specifically to see a Bluegrass show. They are from New Jersey, were drinking beer in paper bags, and work for ConEd. I am heartbroken that my dinner party friends are still making me pay for utilities.

My second dinner party was a mix of 20-somethings who collectively seemed to have no real jobs. In fact one had just quit that day. They shared their General Tso’s Chicken with me. Fantastic people!

5. Go to Brooklyn to get the city’s best pizza – L&B Spumoni Gardens

Map it from my apartment… 1 hour and 9 minutes. Luckily I had a great date to take me there… and drag me one more subway stop: Coney Island! We rode the Cyclone and I’m still alive.

Oh, the pizza. Very saucy, which I prefer to very cheesy. Fluffy, crispy, bubbly and sweet. Melted in my mouth in all the right ways. An Italian masterpiece, but seriously, open up in a neighborhood that doesn’t have a supermarket advertising deli meats for $1.99/lb or a liquor store that keeps everything, including the cashiers, behind plate glass.

6. There are a couple little pastry shops up on Columbus – take a walk up there. It’s a fun thing to do on a summer night.

After seeing Seraphine I went with my date, aka my Upper West Side tour guide, to his favorite neighborhood diner. All the pastry shops were closed but I got a phenom.com slice o blueberry pie. It definitely counts, and was a fun summer night indeed!

7. Buy and start reading the following books:

The World is Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman

The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking

How To Get Rich by Donald Trump

Confession: I bought How To Get Rich because A, I’d really like to know, and B, it was $7.99. The other 2 were expensive hard covers (I figured after I read the first book I’ll be able to afford the others), so I started them online. And now. Reflections!

The World is Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman

In the very first sentence, Mr. Friedman mentions he saw the play Billy Elliot. I was instantly hooked, because I, myself, had seen Billy Elliot on Broadway the night before! It was somewhere in the 4th sentence where he lost me.

The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking

When I heard Stephen Hawking was “science’s first real rockstar” I got excited. Then I realized, he is probably as “rockstar” as I am when I jump around singing into my hairbrush. This image followed me as I started his book, which thankfully he provided me with many illustrations to put that picture out of my head. Exhibit A:

It’s a concept I might pursue one day, but I think like to keep my abstract thinking about the universe to special holidays.

How To Get Rich by Donald Trump

I read the first chapter called “Five Billion Reasons Why You Should Read This Book.” One of the first things The Donald told me is that prior to writing the book, he briefly skimmed the 1987 business bestseller The Art of The Deal, and read the first and last paragraphs. So I decided to grant him the same courtesy.

The skimming of his already succinct advice admittedly made me want to read more. Or maybe that was because of the title.

The last paragraph, though, was all I really needed to see. “You’re hired.” I did it!

CONCLUSION: I’m way more into eating than reading.

Joel’s Rules:

1. Wear hair differently each day, using all and only Warren-Tricomi products.

Now that I’ve been spoiled by the Warren-Tricomi Style Collection, I don’t think I could never go back!

Every day in the shower I used the 3-step Pure Strength hair care regimen: shampoo, conditioner, and an in-between step called “close”. My hair was getting so strong over the week that I didn't even bother going to the gym.

Day 1:

Mousse and Hair Putty, scrunched with a towel, followed up Flexible Hairspray and Finishing Cream. Note: The putty has a special place in my hair-caring heart. It feels like melted rubber in your hands and reminds me of Floam.


Day 2:

Day: All I did with this hairstyle was get a mani-pedi. Swear.

Night: Hot Set Spray, Blue Gel and Calming Serum, blown out with the Small Vented-Thermal Brush, followed by a bit of the Flexible Hairspray and the Finishing Cream.

Day 3:

Day: This is my biker-chic ‘do. Hopefully not a don’t.

Night: My friend Paul played Paulygirl, a make believe Warren-Tricomi hairstylist from LA, and used the Blow-Dry Lotion, the Hot-Set Spray, the Calming Serum followed by a scorching hot flat iron and the Finishing Cream. He forced me to let him do a center part with stick straight hair, a style I hadn’t done since high school. Turned out to be a big hit with my friends! Also turned out I looked exactly like my mom. I did it again a week later. Thanks Paulygirl, XOXO.

Day 4:

Flexible Hairspray, Finishing Cream, a hair elastic and a feather. Voila!

Day 5:


Molding Paste, Hair Putty, half a can of Flexible Hairspray, bobby pins and BYAH! By far my most experimental hair day. I’m not quite sure how it happened, but it was fun to change it up. BYAH! is my sister Jessica’s brand new line of accessories, which happen to really magically make everyone look cute. Look for them in the stores and magazines in a few months!


Day 6: Blue Gel, Hot-Set Spray and the Small Vented Thermal Brush. And, as hinted in the pic, many touchups with the miracle Finishing Cream. (PS. Sadly, a dog ate my brush in the Hamptons this past weekend! That is no joke, nor excuse.)

Day 7:

Mousse, Blue Gel, Hair Putty and a headband. And the Finishing Cream every hour on the hour. I also did the W-T organic hair mask this night, it did all sorts of kind things to my tresses!


2. Carry the Warren-Tricomi Finishing Cream at all times.

Believe me when I tell you: THIS STUFF REALLY WORKS. Curly or straight, pony or bouffant… every time my hair needed a fix, this stuff did the trick.

It would have been a bit much, albeit a lot of fun, to take pictures of myself with the finishing cream every place I went. To maintain some level of vanity sanity, I’ll just hope that you trust me! Here’s one example of me out with my WTFC and some barbeque sauce.

3. Attend Zink Magazine’s party for Warren-Tricomi at the Hudson Terrace Tuesday night.

Here I am on that fabulous rooftop with my friend Janine Bell @modelcitizen, a model you might recognize from the last season of Project Runway.

My pictures with Joel and Edward from their intro are also from that night. You’ll never believe it but them moment I got the 3 of us together for a picture, my camera died! All these pics are courtesy of Zink’s photographer Costa Nicolas (thank you!)


4. Support Charity Water. Attend the Charity Water event at Swarovski store Thursday night, hosted by them.

I didn't step it up on the step and repeat, but here’s my card of bona fide entry! I am fully impressed with Crystallized, the new Swarovski concept store in SoHo, a glittering 5000 square foot bi-level fantasy for my aspiring glitterati-fied self.


5. Have dinner at Zampa.

This made planning my @NYCTasha’s birthday dinner a cinch! Six ladies on a Saturday night, 12 small, scrumtious plates to split, bottles of wine sent over from some nice looking men across the restaurant, and some complementary desserts to die for.















6. Have brunch at Freemans.

What a pleasant, secluded, hearty little nook to eat at on a Sunday afternoon with @sammyh22 and @carlyplanker. Lucy Liu clearly thought so too.























7. Go to Avenue.

I did not get to Avenue. But I live on an avenue! Sixth to be exact. I hope that counts for something…

8. Go to Griffin. As many times as possible.

I went once (that was as many times as possible. I mean, do you see this list?) I went for @NYCTasha's birthday Saturday night after Zampa, and my new hottie hipster friend Mikealis showed us a great night! Love that chandelier....















People to meet:

Deborah Turbeville – Well-known photographer

Carolina Herrera – Fashion designer

Of COURSE they both traveling the entire month of July. And neither iChat. I have alternate plans to meet Carolina at her show this fall, and Deborah… when I convince her to shoot my next NYC Game adventure :)

It's been another amazing week... feel's like I've already won.

UPDATE: On 07/08/09, I received a tweet from @warrentricomi announcing my victory! I'm saving my prize for a few more weeks, but make no mistake, you will know when it's happeneing!

Kisses!

Michelle Joni

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,

    Amazing concept, great writing.

    Love the book reviews.

    ReplyDelete